A little background...


The Military Department Support Fund (MDSF)

On January 1, 2013, the State of California amended California Military & Veterans Code Section 412.5 to allow the California Military Department to conduct its own fundraising! This law is similar in concept to the federal Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) laws but is far more powerful and provides greater capabilities.  The statute creating the California Military Department Support Fund authorizes The Adjutant General to establish specified support programs for the benefit of California Service members and their families, and to support military sponsored youth programs throughout the state. The Military Department is authorized to solicit and accept funds, donations, equipment, services, and more from private individuals and companies.

On May 1, 2015, The Adjutant General approved California Military Department Regulation 215-1, effectively operationalizing this new authority. It provided the framework to allow the Military Department to move forward on fundraising and procedures to ensure internal controls and other processes are transparent and accountable. 

Invest: Keep California at Her Best

Checks:  Please make checks payable to:

                California Military Department Support Fund

                9800 Goethe Rd

ATTN:  External Affairs (Box 42)

                Sacramento, CA 95826

Tax Deductibility:

The California Military Department is an agency of the State of California, and charitable contributions to governmental agencies may be tax deductible pursuant to Internal Revenue Code Section 170 (c)(1). For California taxes, please see Revenue and Taxation Code Section 17201(a). It calls for state conformity to itemized deductions provided in Part VI of Sub chapter B of Chapter 1 of Subtitle A of the of the Internal Revenue Code, which includes IRS Section 170. This is not intended as tax advice, and please speak with your tax advisor before making any contributions.

    Office:  916-854-3705

POC: Office of External Affairs